Why Mackenzie’s Mission
As a result of her experience and the desire to give back, Mackenzie’s Mission was created as a registered 501(c)(3) public charity to make a difference in the fight against Amyloidosis.
We focus our fight in two ways
- Raise awareness about Amyloidosis and the importance of early detection, which often leads to better outcomes. Diagnosing this disease before organ involvement becomes life-threatening can greatly improve the chances of successful treatment.
- Support medical research on Amyloidosis, seeking the cause of the disease, better early detection methods, and more effective treatments to improve and extend lives. Importantly, the entirety of every donation goes towards research, maximizing donor impact and our ability to effect change. We have chosen the Mayo Clinic’s Amyloidosis Research Fund as the recipient of our donations, an organization respected and recognized globally as a Center of Excellence in Amyloidosis.
We implement our fight in many ways
- Raising awareness is a multi-faceted effort, including maintaining a digital voice through the web, our blog, social media, and newsletter; sharing Mackenzie’s experiences through the media and other organizations; speaking at events to audiences of all sizes and backgrounds, and creating videos by Mackenzie and others affected by Amyloidosis to share their experiences and educate the community at large.
- Fundraising is focused on a few key events throughout the year, such as our Play FORE The Cure charity golf tournament offering players the ultimate golfing experience, and Giving Tuesday which harnesses the generosity of people around the world embracing shared values and acting with purpose to bring about real change.
How you can join the fight
- Help spread the word by sharing, liking, following, and commenting on our Facebook posts and fundraising events.
- Sign up for our mailing list to receive blog posts (scroll down) and share those you find interesting with your friends and family.
- Hold fundraisers, whether in-person locally (we’re happy to help you brainstorm) or online (e.g., Facebook, GoFundMe).
- Consider becoming a marrow/stem cell donor. Here is a link to Be The Match, a global leader in bone marrow transplantation.
- Donate to an organization active in supporting amyloidosis patients, caregivers, or research.